Art Lillard's On Time Band
This swinging ensemble has been playing together for many years. Its performances feature great ensemble playing along with inspired soloing. The band draws its influence from traditional swing and jazz as well as more contemporary popular music. Its repertoire includes tunes by such diverse composers as Duke Ellington, Stevie Wonder, Henry Mancini, Lennon & McCartney, and Charles Mingus. The On Time Band produced a recording, “It’s Time,” released by Summit Records in July 2009.
The On Time Band can be hired as either a trio or a quartet. The trio consists of pianist, bassist, and drummer, while the quartet also includes a saxophonist or trumpeter.
The On Time Band has performed at many venues in the greater New York City area. These include Cleopatra’s Needle, Jules Bistro, Ear Inn, The Garage, Creole Restaurant, Metuchen Jazz Festival, Zimmerli Art Museum, Snug Harbor, Grand Prospect Hall, and the Studio 100 Bar at Residence Inn by Marriott.
As an alternative to its general program, the On Time Band offers two special shows.
- “Tradition and Invention,” a program of American music in a range of popular styles is designed to illustrate how some of the old standards have been recreated and refreshed by musicians, thereby maintaining the relevance and value of these compositions up to the present time.
- With “Television Themes through the Decades,” audiences will recognize theme music from many of their favorite TV programs of the past..
All members of the quartet have performed with a variety of jazz greats. Below is a partial list for each.
- Pianist Jon Davis has played with Sonny Fortune, Stan Getz, Albert “Tootie” Heath, Joe Henderson, Jaco Pastorius, Claudio Roditi, Carlos Santana, Marvin “Smitty” Smith, Toots Thielemens, Stanley Turrentine, Phil Woods.
- Saxophonist Danny Walsh has played with Chick Corea, Al Foster, Eddie Gomez, Charles Mingus Big Band, Mulgrew Miller, Lenny White.
- Bassist Marco Panascia has played with Andy Bey, Seamus Blake, Chris Botti, Gary Burton, Peter Erskine, Herbie Hancock, Roy Hargrove, Quincy Jones, Dave Liebman, Joe Lovano, Bobby McFerrin.
- Drummer Art Lillard has played with Jaki Byard, Gilly Coggins, Junior Cook, Kenny Davern, Joe Diorio, Bobby Forrester, Eric Gunnison, Greg Hopkins, Paul Horn, Nancy King, Cecil McBee, Arturo O’Farrill, Ira Sullivan.